The Competition and EU Law Practice covers all needs of international and local clients related to the application of national and European laws on competition, trade and regulated sectors. We are specialists but also highly versatile lawyers with a proven track record in complex contractual and litigation work representing media, technology, consumer goods and regulated sectors generally.
In particular, our practice area advises on the following issues:
- Merger control, where we have extensive experience supporting our corporate team, as independent legal advisors to companies in their deals in Spain and the rest of Europe, and as second-opinion lawyers.
- Joint ventures and co-operation arrangements: we have recently acted in the self-assessment of co-operation arrangements between competitors in sectors posing complex questions such as air navigation, media and technology.
- We have been involved in unilateral conduct matters such as refusal to license key media content, abusive pricing in licenses of IP rights or standard-setting organisations. We are involved (and have been involved in the past) in private damages litigation resulting from abuse of a dominant position in the media and IT sectors in Spain.
- We currently advise and have successfully advised on various cartel infringements in the food, consumer products or civil engineering industries. Furthermore, our litigation experience on judicial review of agency action is outstanding.
- We have also been pioneers in Spain in using leniency applications as a tool for managing or removing antitrust administrative liability.
- Vertical relationships, distribution and agency, design of compliant distribution systems.
- Technology transfer and IP licensing are also within our core areas of expertise where we do recurrent work.
- Unfair trade including both preventive advice and litigation advice on issues such as trade secrets, unlawful reliance on legal rules as a device for market abuse, etc.