María Martínez-Avial Guerra
María is an experienced lawyer in Employment and Social Security Law, assisting Spanish and multinational companies. Specifically, she advises on a wide range of employment-related matters including restructuring processes, negotiations with the legal representatives of employees, contracts of employment, remuneration packages (including stock options schemes), drafting of employees handbooks, due diligence reviews, and post-merger integration methods. She appears regularly in employment tribunals, the National Court, Regional High Courts, the Spanish Supreme Court and the Spanish Constitutional Court. Finally, she can act as mediator between employers and labour inspection authorities. Before joining Roca Junyent, María worked for the Labour Department at Estudio Legal, Landwell and Ernst & Young.
Spanish and English.
- Law Degree, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, 1991.
- Senior Lecturer in International Law at Madrid’s Instituto Superior de Derecho y Economía.
- Senior Lecturer in Employment Law at CEU´s (Madrid) Legal Practice Course, 2000-2004.
- Senior Lecturer in Employment Procedure at CEU´s (Madrid) Master in Legal Consultancy since 2005.
- Senior Lecturer in Business Law Practice at the Universidad Europea de Madrid (UEM).
- Speaker in several courses and seminars in matters related to Employment and Social Security Law.
Prizes and Awards
- Recommended by Best Lawyers International, 2013 edition in the area of Labour and Employment.
- Recommended by Chambers Europe, 2012 and 2013 editions, in the area of Employment.
Chambers Europe 2013 , Employment Law
Best Lawyers 2013, Employment Law
Chambers Europe 2012, Employment Law
- María has published several articles on Employment and Social Security Law for Expansión, Cinco Días, and La Gaceta de los Negocios (Spain's leading financial newspapers) and for El País, one of Spain's major quality, current affairs newspapers.