"Pedro Callol is a specialist in the media sector and with a strong background in competition, he is well respected across the market, with one client commenting: Pedro has a lot of experience in competition and a great working relationship with the authorities". Chambers Europe, 2010
English, French, German, Italian and Spanish.
Dual qualified (Spain / UK– currently non-practising solicitor), Pedro leads RJ's EC and Competition Law Practice. He has substantial experience in EC Law and litigation, including in the antitrust (cartels, abuse of dominance) and State aid fields, and regularly advises on corporate transactions, joint ventures and commercial arrangements.
Since his arrival in the firm, Pedro and his team have handled the regulatory angles of high-profile acquisitions, including the joint venture in the insurance business between Banco Sabadell and Zurich, the acquisition by Abertis of the Avasa toll-motorway business, the acquisition of Spanair, and the acquisition of the VoIP business of JaJah of the US by Telefonica/O2 or the takeover offer of Banco Gipuzcoano by Banco Sabadell. He has also handled various major cartel cases in the food, personal care, cinema exhibition and football rights sectors, as well as complex administrative and antitrust litigation before the European courts in Luxembourg.
Prior to joining Roca Junyent, Pedro was the head of the Spanish competition practice of a ‘magic circle’ UK law firm in Spain. Before this he was a member of the antitrust group of Arnold & Porter in Washington, DC and London.
- Solicitor of the Supreme Court of England and Wales.
- Madrid Bar Association
- Member of the Advisory Board of the American Antitrust Association, Washington D.C.
- Member of Spanish Fulbright Alumni Association and of CABE
- Board member of the University of Chicago alumni association in Spain.
- Business Degree, Universidad San Pablo, Madrid. 1995.
- Law Degree (LL.B), Universidad Complutense, Madrid. 1994
- Master in European Law, College of Europe, Bruges. 1996.
- LL.M Program, University of Chicago Law School (Fulbright). 2000.
- Visiting Professor, Universidad Carlos III, Madrid, 2003 to present.
- Visiting Professor, Universidad San Pablo, Madrid, 2006-to present.
Prizes and Awards
- Recommended by Chambers Europe, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 editions, in the area of Competition/European Law.
- Recommended by The Legal 500 EMEA 2012 and 2013 edition, in the area of EU and competition.
- Recommended by Legal Experts EMEA 2013 edition, in the area of EU and Competition.
- Recommended by Best Lawyers International, in the areas of Corporate and M&A (2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013), Litigation (2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013) and EU Competition (2010).
- Recommended by Legal Experts EMEA 2012 edition, in the area of EU and Competition.
- Recommended by Legal 500, 2010 and 2011 editions, in the area of Competition/European Law.
- Recommended by PLC Which Lawyer?, 2010 and 2011 edition, in the area of Competition/Anti-trust.
- Pedro has been named as a leading lawyer by Chambers and PLC Which Lawyer. He has been selected as one of the top 40 lawyers under 40 in Spain and Portugal by Iberian Lawyer (2007 and 2009 editions).
Chambers Europe 2013, EU & Competition law
The Legal 500 EMEA 2013, EU & Competition law
Best Lawyers 2013, Arbitration
Best Lawyers 2013, Corporate Law
Legal Experts EMEA 2013 , EU & Competition law
Chambers Europe 2012 , EU & Competition law
The Legal 500 EMEA 2012, EU & Competition law
Best Lawyers 2012, Arbitration
Best Lawyers 2011, Civil & Commercial Litigation
Legal Experts EMEA 2012, EU & Competition law
Iberian Lawyer 40 under Forty Awards 2009
The Legal 500 2011, EU & Competition law
Chambers Europe 2011, EU & Competition law
Practical Law Company 2010, EU & Competition law
Chambers Europe 2010, EU & Competition law
The Legal 500 - 2010, EU & Competition law
- Spanish correspondent of the European Competition Law Review since 2003 reporting periodically on competition law and regulatory developments in Spain.
- Antitrust damages in Spain: an unconcluded Story. Spanish chapter of a comparative law publication on antitrust damages by the American Institute of Antitrust Law (pending publication).
- New types of State aid. An essay on the financing of the Spanish public television service for the Rafael del Pino Foundation, Madrid (pending publication).
- Merger control in Spain: Agency Action since the entering into force of the 2007 Competition Act. Collective book on Spanish Competition law published by the Spanish Antitrust Association (pending publication).
- Football rights in Spain: Crisis of the System and future of an Industry. Chapter of the Anuario de Derecho Mercantil, a nation-wide publication on commercial law gathering essays from selected lawyers.
- State intervention in large M&A cases: the Endesa and Autostrade cases. Spanish Yearly Business Law Journal, May 2009.
- Public intervention in times of crisis: State aid law applied to direct intervention in business. Paper prepared for the group of experts of the San Pablo University. University San Pablo press, June 2009.
- Public financing of broadband network infrastructures: a consideration of the parameters of legality for its concession. Spanish Review of European Law, June 2007.
- The genesis of a new legal and regulatory framework for competition enforcement in Spain. European Competition Law Review, February 2007.
- The abuse of intellectual property rights. Capture of standards and abuse of the standard-setting process. Monographic work produced for the Article 82 EC Treaty study of the Fundación Rafael del Pino, published June 2006.
- Administrative intervention of utilities. Merger control, the Royal Decree 6/2000 and other legislative measures. Paper published in September 2006 with Woulters Kluwer as a chapter of a book on utilities regulation.
- Co-author of a study on the issue of enforcement of State aid law at national level (Part I: application of EC State aid rules by national courts; Part II: Recovery of unlawful State aid: enforcement of negative Commission decisions by the Member States), May 2006.
- Ownership restrictions in the Spanish energy sector. International Antitrust Section American Bar Association, Summer 2004 Issue.
- Judicial review of structural merger remedies. Spanish Review of European Law (Revista Española de Derecho europeo), June 2004.
- The foreign exemption under the US Hart-Scott-Rodino. Spanish Competition Law Review (Gaceta Jurídica de la Unión Europea y de la Competencia), October 2003.
- Competition and regulation of ADSL services. Spanish Competition Law Review (Gaceta Jurídica de la Unión Europea y de la Competencia), December 2002.
- Merger remedies and commitments. Submitted in partial completion of third cycle of postgraduate studies, Universidad San Pablo, Madrid 2002.
- B2b marketplaces and the myth of perfect transparency. Spanish Competition Law Review (Gaceta Jurídica de la Unión Europea y de la Competencia), June 2001.
- Industrial standards and interconnection. Business Law Review (Revista de Derecho de los Negocios), January 2001.
- Third party access to telecommunications networks. Review of Public Administration (Revista de Administración Pública), September 1999.
- The changeover to the euro. Fundación ONCE, March 1999.
- Retroactivity and vested rights. Review of Public Administration (Revista de Administración Pública), December 1992.
- Intellectual Property & Antitrust , Getting The Deal Through , 01/01/2013
- Football rights in Spain: crisis of the system and the future of an industry, Anuario Mercantil para Abogados 2011, 11/07/2011
- Breakthrough in Spanish media law, Lexology, 30/01/2010
- Opel and national interests trafficking, El Economista, 30/09/2009